Friday, November 6, 2015

NaNoWriMo: Week One Review

Okay, I totally get that it's only been six days and that the first week of November isn't technically over yet. I get it. But I'm going to be out of the house basically all of tomorrow, so I figured that it'd be better to write this today.
So... I suppose that I should start off by introducing the story that I've been writing and hope to finish by the end of the month (my goal is more to finish the story than to reach the goal of 50,000 words).

Boy of My Imagination
When in a nasty car crash, Penny fell into a coma. When she wakes, her life becomes a storm of doctor's appointments, visits from friends, family, and people who claim to be relatives that she's never seen before, and trying to find time to get a job so that she'll be able to afford to return to college the next year. 
To add onto things, every time that Penny leaves her house, she seems to run into a boy - someone she's never seen before, yet someone who looks so familiar. But when she points him out to her friend, Penny realizes that she's the only one who can see him. Afraid to be sent to a therapist by her parents for seeing hallucinations, Penny keeps him as her secret, but she's determined to figure out who he is and why nobody else can see him before she returns to college in the fall.

Before November, I had been pretty excited to start. I'd felt so ready to begin writing that I hadn't thought about whether this would actually be a good novel to write during NaNoWriMo. And I'm learning that it probably isn't the best.
See, the novel starts out a bit slow and picks up. Only, trying to dive into the slow parts and get through them has really slowed me down. Yes, I am ahead of schedule, but a lot of that is because I need to write more on the weekends so that I don't fall behind during the week. So I could still easily screw this month up. 
So my excitement for the novel is down, and it's been just... not a good week. I just need to get to a better scene and have the novel actually begin to pick up. Hopefully my regret for not choosing a different novel will fade away as I get deeper and deeper into the story.
-Teri

No comments:

Post a Comment